Follow Kamui on Twitter
Check Kamui's Blog
When I've saw the first preview of the Templar Wizard Battle.net portrait from the Diablo III CE I instantly felt in love into the idea to mix a Wizard with the Protoss design. At this time in October 2011 even the name was not released (which was the reason why I've called my project "Protoss Wizard"), but I knew already that this will be my costume for the next Blizzcon. Since there was sadly no such event in 2012 I finally finished this costume only a week ago for Blizzcon 2013 now.
From the planning to the final brush stroke of the costume it was always designed for transportation into a suitcase. Since my reference showed only the head of my future costume I was also very free in this step and chose - to make my Blizzard fangirl costume perfect - a weapon from World of Warcraft (Halbert of Smithing) with a adjusted Protoss design as a prop. Over weeks and months I've worked on the design, built the armor, rebuild many pieces again and again until I was satisfied and teached myself the technique to let everything glow in the way I had since years in mind. Overall it is my biggest project so far and after so much worries, crazy stress, depressing fails and problems I just love how the final costume turned out.
- All LEDs are programmed and do not only glow, but pulse over a central controlling and energy source on my back. The programming is not finaly and will still changed until Blizzcon.
- The costume developed during almost 2 years of progress with around 5 different designs.
- I've spent around 1500 € and 800 hours of time for it (usually I need 300 hours for a big project).
- The wig weights around 2 kilos and needs a ton of bobby pins and some painkillers to stay on my head for hours.
- I need around 4 hours to get ready since the fixing of the wig and the armor is not only pretty complicated, but also the wiring needs to be plugged together and tested several times.
- Since the costume is designed for the suitcase I'm able to put my 2.10m polearm and also my costume with no problems inside and even have space for a further costume.
Well, and if you're interested: Here and here you'll find a video of the working LEDs.
To follow the full progress of this costume, just take a look to my Facebook Progress Gallery.
Main material of the whole armor is Worbla.
Worldwide you can by it at Mycostumes.de
From the US you can buy it here: Cosplaysupplies.com
And here you'll find a tutorial which shows how I made a breastplate out of this Breastplate Tutorial
In addition here you'll find even a painting tutorial from my husband, who supported me in painting during other projects: Painting Tutorial
Also I think it is good that you keep the project for yourself so that other may ponder and wonder how, why, when and what! We are all so nosy but sometimes we need to take a step back.
Great job, you look stunning~!